Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Could not get any better for Martin

Is David Wilkins trying to re-elect Paul Martin? Looky here,Canadian Leader Angers U.S. Envoy - New York Times:
The American ambassador, David H. Wilkins, interjected himself into the Canadian national elections on Tuesday with an implicit but strong warning to Prime Minister Paul Martin to stop attacking the United States while on the campaign trail.

"I understand political expediency, but the last time I looked, the United States was not on the ballot for the Jan. 23 election," Mr. Wilkins said in a speech in Ottawa. "It may be smart election-year politics to thump your chest and constantly criticize your friend and your No. 1 trading partner, but it is a slippery slope."
...
American diplomats have often complained about Canadian criticisms, but Mr. Wilkins's remarks were perhaps the strongest since the cold war.

Mr. Martin said he was not putting the United States in the campaign. "We do expect our partners to honor their agreements," he said, referring to the disputed lumber tariffs. "And I will defend Canada. Period."
If I were on Team Martin, I think I'd be teeing off on this theme right now. Beer and popcorn? Give me a break... if Martin gets to play Captain Canada standing up to the big baddie down south right now, cha ching....I'll take that issue any day.