Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Excerpts from Woodward's book making the rounds today

Some tidbits, I take it, to illuminate one's election thinking.

Here's what W apparently said to the Saudi Ambassador, "Bandar Bush," in 1997:
"I'm thinking of running for president," said Bush, then 52. He had hardly begun his campaign for reelection as governor of Texas. He had been walking gingerly for months, trying not to dampen his appeal as a potential presidential candidate while not peaking too early, or giving Texas voters the impression he was looking past them.

Bush told Bandar he had clear ideas of what needed to be done with national domestic policy. But, he added, "I don't have the foggiest idea about what I think about international, foreign policy.

"My dad told me before I make up my mind, go and talk to Bandar.
One, he's our friend. Our means America, not just the Bush family. Number two, he knows everyone around the world who counts. And number three, he will give you his view on what he sees happening in the world. Maybe he can set up meetings for you with people around the world." (emphasis added)
The empty sieve, filled up by his Saudi friend. There's lots more here on Bush's unnerving lack of experience and knowledge, naive questions to others he brought on - Rice, Armitage - and there's the odd sense of certainty that he would be president.

A timely reminder, I guess, of the need for a check on this amateur who, along with his neocon advisers, has dug a deep hole in Iraq.