Tuesday, March 03, 2009

"Junk"

Michael Ignatieff puts a label on Harper's latest election threat should he not be given a blank cheque to spend stimulus funds as Conservatives see fit: "junk."
...Harper must talk to Liberals and work out some resolution to the matter rather than drive Parliament "off the cliff" as he nearly did last fall.
Off the cliff, that's evocative...:) More from CBC this afternoon:
Ignatieff said more detail on specific spending plans for the $3 billion emergency stimulus fund is a reasonable demand during the process.

"If we can get $3 billion out fast, I'm happy to do it, but I'm not writing blank cheques and he has to understand that," he said.
I don't know...sounds a little too reasonable for the foot stamping crowd...

Update (8:20 p.m.): CP took out the reference to "junk" in the later update...fyi. I think someone may have heard "bluff" as junk earlier...here's a new quote:
"We're now in an economic crisis in which he's got to walk back down the hill and talk to me. I am not writing a blank cheque on $3 billion. No Canadian would respect me if I did," Ignatieff said.

"So we've got to talk. Why don't we talk instead of threats and menaces and bluff and all this kind of stuff?"
Junk, bluff, interchangeable adjectives to describe the Harper position.

Update II (8:50 p.m.): Just had a chance to watch the video...he did say "junk!" OK. Last update.