Tuesday, April 07, 2009

"A crazy, quiet air of desperation"

No need to add to this today: "Bizarre actions show a leader losing his grip."

Also of some interest, Tonda MacCharles has a report on the new book on the history of Conservative leadership in Canada: "Blue Thunder." The author, in his research, has distilled some characteristics required for success as a Conservative leader. Count how many you believe the current occupant possesses:
Plamondon's research produced seven markers of success: A Tory leader must be "a nation builder," a "visionary," a force who unites the party, someone who can lead "broad and sustainable coalitions," who is "tough, but not authoritarian," able to "divide and conquer opponents" and is "absolutely committed to winning."
I count the last 2. Divide and conquer opponents...although that has changed. And the committed to winning item. Many would say he has, of course, united his party by virtue of his role in the creation of the ultimate party that has been built. Of late, think we'd have to start calling that into question. The rest are characteristics it is likely too late in the game for Mr. Harper to acquire. You can't fake the "vision thing."

An op-ed in le Devoir against the cuts to Radio Canada also notable. It's truly bizarre that the funds are flowing so freely in all the daily announcements, $100 million for festivals, $20 million for summer student jobs, temporary measures yet the CBC is defiantly placed out of the loop, good permanent creative infrastructure jobs being lost.

Last note here, reader NG offers the following "Recession Prayer" for these times, "with apologies to the psalmist."
The Banker is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in furniture stores, he leads me beside the ocean waters.
He restores my wants, he leads me in the paths of consumerism for his bottom line.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of debt, I will fear no limits, for you are with me. The credit card and store card they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table in front of mine wishes; thou annointest my head with service charges; my account runneth over.
Surely interest and charges shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the bankruptcy court forever.