Friday, December 18, 2009

"We're dealing with Stephen Harper..."

Yes, unfortunately, we are:
...Mr. Ignatieff would not be pinned down on what it will take for his party to support the next budget.

"We're dealing with the Conservative Party of Canada here," Mr. Ignatieff said. "We're dealing with Stephen Harper (and his) capacity for poison pills, for game-playing, for omnibus budget bills that freight in some other thing that you never even saw coming. I've been around long enough to know I'm not telling you what I'm going to do because I've got to look at this thing and see what it is."

Moreover, Mr. Ignatieff said it is the government's responsibility, not the Opposition's, to propose a plan to eliminate the deficit that it created.

"They don't have a plan to get us out of deficit. So the burden is not on me -- I'm in the Opposition -- they've got to give Canadians a credible plan on deficit reduction and they don't have any."
The year-end interview extravaganzas are on. I suppose this means we'll be subjected to the Prime Ministerial ones any day now where we'll be told fairy tales about no tax increases - while they're increasing the EI payroll tax - and no spending cuts. It'll be a Festivus miracle!

Hope there will be lots of questions about the Afghanistan issue, maybe some probing of privatization plans from the Harper crew and whether there will be a prorogation or not, with all its implications for the Senate, bills that have not yet been passed, etc. I know I always look forward to Bob Fife, Lloyd and Harper sitting down to share some eggnog, but I do hope it gets a little more serious this year, it's a time for it.