Saturday, August 02, 2008

SiteMeter issue resolved?

A Kos diarist links to a SiteMeter statement which was posted on the SiteMeter blog at 3:14 p.m.:
Dear SiteMeter Users,

We have become aware of a compatibility issue with our SiteMeter tracking code and IE 7 (possibly IE 6) browsers that started sometime last night.

The problem was related to some work we were doing on the backend system for our upcoming website launch.

We’ve identified and resolved two separate but related issues -

1 - IE Users viewing pages - There was a problem with users who placed their SiteMeter tracking code outside of their HTML Body Tag. Because of the changes we made this created a failure for visitors viewing sites using Internet Explorer 7.

2 - Accessing SiteMeter and Stats - Individuals trying to access or view their SiteMeter stats by clicking on their SiteMeter logo/icons were unable to gain access. This again appears to have affected only individuals using IE7.

At this time both problems have been fixed and our services are fully operational.

For those who removed the SiteMeter code from your pages please be assured that the problem has been resolved and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
The SiteMeter Team
The Kos diarist re-activated their code and viewing worked with IE.

It's been quite the blogging clusterf*%# this week...:)

(h/t to G.D. at Creative Revolution).